Did you receive this notification when you logged in to your Facebook?
Yes, you heard it right!
Facebook and Instagram have introduced cross-app messaging, letting users from one app find and message you on the other.
With cross-app messaging, you can now search for and message, video chat, or reshare posts with people across Instagram and Facebook.
With this feature, people with Instagram accounts can search for you and send you message requests on Facebook.
You can still choose who can message you.
To decide where you receive message requests and who can contact you, head to Message Delivery Settings on Facebook.
However, your Active Status, when enabled, now works across Facebook and Instagram, so people on either platform can know when you are online.
It does not, however, impact who can see your Story posts on either platform.
You can learn more about cross-app messaging in the Facebook Help Center.
Here are all the features coming soon to the new Messenger experience on Instagram:
- Communicate Across Apps: Seamlessly connect with friends and family across Instagram and Messenger by using either app to send messages and join video calls.
- Watch Together: Enjoy watching videos on Facebook Watch, IGTV, Reels (coming soon!), TV shows, movies, and more with friends and family during a video call.
- Vanish Mode: Choose a mode where seen messages disappear after they’re seen or when you close the chat.
- Selfie Stickers: Create a series of boomerang stickers with your selfie to use in conversation.
- Chat Colors: Personalize your chats with fun color gradients.
- Custom Emoji Reactions: Create a shortcut of your favorite emojis to react quickly to messages from friends.
- Forwarding: Easily share great content with up to five friends or groups.
- Replies: Respond directly to a specific message in your chat and keep the conversation flowing.
- Animated Message Effects: Add visual flair to your message with animated send effects.
- Message Controls: Decide who can message you directly and who can’t message you at all.
- Enhanced Reporting and Blocking Updates: Now, you can report full conversations in addition to single messages on Instagram and receive proactive blocking suggestions across Instagram and Messenger when you add your accounts in the new Accounts Center.
In our experience handling Instagram and Facebook pages of clients, we see this feature’s effectiveness, especially if you have more than 10,000 fans on Facebook.
Need help with managing your social media page? Get in touch with our team today.